Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Oh Starbucks. How I love thee.

And that's a strong statement. I have not always loved Starbucks. It's grown on me. I used to find it stale and uninspiring. If you've seen one, you've seen them all. You can never spread out all your junk on a table. You have to keep it neat and confined.

But I have to say, that like many in our culture, sometimes I crave the "experience"...you know holding a white cup with a mermaid. I am continually amazed at how Starbucks selects the people they hire and what quality interactions I have with the people that take my order. Well done Starbucks, well done. Seriously, a barista (or is it baristo for a guy) who hadn't seen me in over a year said, "you haven't been in here for awhile have you?" I was thinking um ya...smooth, how many times have you used that today....but then he proceeded to tell me who I was with last time! Scawey....yet effective. The church could learn a thing or two here. So on to other things that won me over...ah yes, a green tea latte...um YUMMY! That...and the quotes that they put on those cups.
"You can learn a lot more from listening than talking. Find someone with whom you don't agree with in the slightest and ask them to explain themselves at length. Then take a seat, shut your mouth, and don't argue back. It's physically impossible to listen with your mouth open."
-John Moe

On a coffee cup. Brilliant. I need to do SO much less talking.

No comments: